Sunday, September 17, 2006

Unbelieveable!

8:32 p.m.
I'm in shock. With only 13 days remaining until the Portland Marathon, I received an email minutes ago from my sister asking if I was interested in registering for the Long Beach "Run the Beach" Marathon or Half-Marathon taking place on October 15. That would be October 15 of 2006. If you don't have a calendar readily available, that's t-h-i-s year, or more precisely 27 days from today or exactly 14 days after the Portland Marathon. Only days ago she said something about being relieved that the Portland Marathon would be over soon because she was done with the long training walks. Done. Finito. Over and out.

I never saw my sister's side into insanity coming and I'm not sure what I'm suppose to do. Do I call 9-1-1? Do I call Mom? Is this the kind of thing that requires an intervention with a trained facilitator? Was I wrong to respond in email that I thought she was a crazy wacko?

8:49 p.m.
I just checked my email again. Another note from my sister. This time she's asking if not the Long Beach Marathon, how about the Seattle Marathon at the end of the year. 26.2 miles in northwest winter weather on Thanksgiving weekend. On one hand it makes sense; justification for carbo-loading at Thanksgiving dinner. And yet that seems an extreme measure even for my sister. No. There remains no doubt. My beloved sister has snapped. I will always cherish the memories I shared with her when she was in her right mind. Or perhaps she never was.

I'm calling Mom.

9:15 p.m.
Whew. I'm relieved to report my sister hasn't lost her loose bag of marbles after all. In her third installment the truth has come out. She had a pavement burning 11:53 minute mile today. In her words, that is her "PB" and she's psyched about it. PB. She even knows the lingo. Okay. I'm impressed. I'll admit it. And proud. Yeh, that too. Okay, and jealous. There. I said it.

Oh. I just had a thought. While Barb was here this last weekend we watched the DVD "Running on the Sun," a documentary on the Badwater Ultramarathon, 135 miles through Death Valley in July.

You don't think.....she wouldn't consider.....nah.....

2 comments:

D said...

Hilarious entry! Thanks for visiting my blog last week!

Linda Stipe said...

You are killing me. I am starting a blog of my own, Linda In Training, and it has nothing to do with walking or running.
I have one guy picked out, 'for the kill.' Whether in two years, I kill him or not, will be the point of this blog.
Linda Stipe